HOW TO STOP IT
The rent "concession" scheme could be dealt a severe blow if policymakers were to take a few quick and easy steps. Here are our recommendations for the City Hall:
- The mayor or city council members should complain to the landlords on behalf of their constituents.
- City officials should hold a press conference exposing the rent "concessions" scam.
- The mayor should order the Rental Accommodations Division to submit a report on rent filings by landlords that appear to vastly exceed market prices.
- The mayor should order city officials to immediately fix the misleading rent increase form.
- The city council should pass simple legislation affirming that the word "rent" in the law means exactly what most people believe it to mean -- the amount you pay for the right to live somewhere. By definition, the "rent" cannot be hundreds of dollars above what you actually pay.
- The Attorney General should bring strong enforcement action against landlords who use false advertising to lure prospective tenants.